Wednesday, November 14, 2012

RAISIN BREAD PUDDING WITH BOURBON SAUCE



Hi All!  I hope you're doing well.  If the fall weather is making you feel a bit nostalgic and you're longing for some comfort food, I've got the perfect dessert for you.  How about a classic Raisin Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce?  Hmm....my taste buds are dancing already.

As usual, I'll share with you my inspiration for this dessert.  A few months ago, a friend and I attended a dinner and movie gathering at J. Simpkins Gallery in Trussville, Alabama.  For dessert, they served Raisin Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce and a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.  I had never thought about making bread pudding but it was very good so I asked the chef if he would be willing to share his recipe for my blog.  Although he said that he would email it to me, I never received it.  (I'm hoping it just slipped his mind.  Or perhaps he was afraid that I could duplicate it and make it better which is always a possibility:-)  Whatever the reason, I am not one to be outdone.  I began searching for a recipe that I could try and so far, the one offered by McCormick Spices is my favorite.

Special Notes:  The McCormick bread pudding recipe is actually for an Apple-Raisin Bread Pudding but I omitted the apples and added white chocolate and a homemade bourbon sauce (not pictured) to mine.  Also, I cut my recipe in half because I didn't need a whole 11x17" inch pan of it but if you want to try the original version, here is the link: http://mccormick.com/Recipes/Desserts/Apple-Raisin-Bread-Pudding.aspx

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups French or Italian bread cubes
1/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup white chocolate

Bourbon Sauce (not pictured)
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2-3 tablespoons Kentucky Bourbon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon in large bowl until well blended.




2. Stir in bread cubes and raisins. Spread evenly in greased baking dish.


In this picture, I added white chocolate medallions to my batter.

3. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.



Directions for the Bourbon Sauce:
1.  Combine butter and sugar in a small saucepan; cook over medium, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves.

2.  Remove from heat and stir in bourbon

2 comments:

  1. Ingredients:
    1 eggs
    1 cups whole milk
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups French or Italian bread cubes

    1/4 cup raisins
    1/3 cup white chocolate


    Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix eggs, milk, sugar, butter, allspice, vanilla and cinnamon in large bowl until well blended.

    Note: There is no mention of butter or allspice in the ingredients listed above. How much of each is recommended???

    Thanks!

    Love everything, keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Catch! My recipe was a variation of the Apple Raisin Bread Pudding from the McCormick spice website and for my purposes, I ommitted the butter and allspice. I've revised the recipe above accordingly. My apologies!

    ReplyDelete