Tuesday, November 13, 2012

ORANGE ROLLS



Hi All!

Long time no see (or hear.)  It's been busy few months for me.  I assure you that while I may have neglected to update my blog, I definitely have not neglected my cooking adventures.  Today, I am offering for your review a sweet treat:  Homemade Orange Rolls.  A couple of months ago, I had the opportunity to sample some orange rolls from a local restaurant, Urban Cookhouse.  They were so good that I immediately went online to try to find a recipe.  I did run across several seemingly good recipes but my only hang-up was that anything that requires yeast sends me into panic mode. I can cook up a storm and I can make homemade cookies, pies and cakes that will bring tears to your eyes; however, bread baking is not my strong suit.  I spent many a day in the kitchen watching my grandmother Lillie bake homemade biscuits, rolls and pie crusts and I learned a lot from her but the one skill that has eluded me is bread baking. 

Now, let me share a secret with you.  I cheated a little bit with this recipe.  I discovered a product that is a must have for the novice bread baker.  Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix.   The box comes with all the necessary dry ingredients (including yeast) to make dinner rolls, cinnamon rolls or pizza dough. All you need to add is water, butter or oil, and one egg. I used this as the base for my Orange Rolls.    

Ingredients:
1 Box of Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix
1 egg
2 tablespoons of butter, softened
1 cup hot water


Filling:
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons of butter, softened
2 Tablespoons of grated orange zest
Glaze:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
(reserved from the filling above)


Directions:

1.  Preheat oven 375°F.

2.  Prepare the hot roll dough mix according to the directions on the package.
     (Mix, knead, cover and let rest.)


3.  Divide the dough in half.


4.  Roll one half of the dough in a 12x8" rectangle on a floured surface.


5.  Spread 2 T butter on the dough.


6.  Combine the sugar, orange and lemon rind and sprinkle half of it over the butter.



7.  Beginning at the long side, roll the dough jelly-roll fashion.


8.  Repeat these steps with the remaining dough, butter and sugar mixture.

9.  Cut the rolls in 1/2" slices.

10. Place each roll in a lightly greased miniature muffin pan.

11. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden.


12. Remove the rolls from the muffin pans and place on wire racks.

13. Combine the powdered sugar, orange juice and zest.

14. Spoon evenly over the rolls.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I have always been afraid of using yeast but know I can use the Pillsbury mix!

    ReplyDelete