Sunday, August 12, 2012

CHICKEN AND WILD RICE CASSEROLE



Hi All!  I hope this post finds you doing wonderful on this fine Sunday evening.  Boy, have I got a treat for you today!  About a month ago, I sat in on a luncheon meeting at work.  The lunch was catered by one of my favorite local caterers, Ashley Mac's.  The entrée that we ordered was the Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole.  I was so totally in love with this dish that I put it at the top of my list of 'To Do' recipes.  They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and if this dish comes even half-way close to Ashley's version, I would consider that to be a huge honor because she is a wonderful caterer.  By the way, if you happen to venture out to one of her locations in either Bluff Park or Cahaba Heights, make sure you try the chicken salad.

On the menu today is my abbreviated version of a Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole.  Mind you, this isn't Ashley Mac's recipe but rather a combination of a few recipes that I came across while doing a search online.  It's very quick and very easy but yet hearty enough that your family will probably think that it took you hours to prepare.

Specials Notes:  I added a few things that are not included in my list of ingredients because I decided to improvise a little during the preparation to add a little zing to dish.  I added about 1/4 cup of white wine, about a 1 tablespoon of basil and instead of just the almond topping, I topped with bread crumbs.

Final Thoughts:  If you can make it through the evening without going back for seconds, there is something seriously wrong with your taste buds.



INGREDIENTS:
1.  Approx. 2 lbs of chicken breasts 

(I used 2 extra large split breasts but you could use boneless breasts, breast tenders or even rotisserie chicken)  
2.  Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
3.  8 oz container of sour cream
4.  1/4 cup of slivered almonds
5.  Box of Zatarain's Wild Brown Rice Mix (or Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix)

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Preheat oven to 350˚.

2.  Following the directions on the box of rice mix and cook until rice is tender.



3.  Cook chicken either by boiling or pan searing in olive oil.  Chop or shred. 





4.  Put almonds in small pan and lightly toast in the oven.

5.  Mix soup and sour cream.  






6.  Combine chicken, soup mixture and rice in a mixing bowl and then pour into a casserole dish.  Top with almonds and optional bread crumbs.



7.  Bake for approximately 30 minutes.



  


1 comment:

  1. Karen - I encourage you to take your wonderful cooking talents on the road. There's always room for one more cooking DIVA! - DJ

    ReplyDelete