Sunday, June 3, 2012

PANKO CRUSTED CATFISH FILLET

Hi All!  Hope you're doing well on this fine Sunday afternoon.  I know that it has been awhile since my last post and I apologize for that.  To be honest, I have made quite a few dishes in the past few months that were actually blog-worthy but I never seemed to have my camera handy when the menu ideas popped into my head.  Today, however, I made sure that I was prepared because I have been scheming on this dish for the past week.  (As for the other dishes, I'll just have to go back and cook them all over again so that I can share them with you.)
Today I have prepared for you a Panko Crusted Catfish Fillet.  Now, before you freak out over the thought of my using catfish rather than say, tilapia or salmon, let me just say that I think catfish has gotten a raw deal.  Most people think that it is just for frying but you would be surprised how flaky and flavorful a baked or broiled catfish fillet can be, particularly if it is seasoned properly and not overcooked.  Up until I had the opportunity to try some blackened catfish at The Fish Market Restaurant a few years ago, I never knew that catfish prepared any other way than fried could be good but my eyes were suddenly opened and now catfish is my new go-to fish.

Special Notes:  As you will see in my list of ingredients, I used plain unseasoned Panko bread crumbs because I like to add my own spices.  Also, this recipe typically calls for Dijon Mustard but the closest thing I had was Creole Mustard so I improvised.  Lastly, you'll notice that I only battered one side of the fish.  I have discovered that if I batter the whole fillet, during the baking process, I would have to flip it over in order for both sides to brown and crisp and I always tend to lose some of my topping whenever I have to flip it. 

Final Thoughts:  If you like the taste of fried catfish but could do without the added calories and grease, this is the dish for you!

***Also, let me note that if you're not a fan of catfish or fish in general, this recipe would also go well with chicken breast and probably even pork.


 

Ingredients:
4 Catfish Fillets
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
4 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese



Directions:
1.   Preheat oven to 400˚. 
2.   Pour bread crumbs into dish for coating.


3.   In separate container, mix mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and Parmesan cheese together.


4.   Spread mixture on top of fish fillet then coat with bread crumbs.



5.   Place with breaded  side up in a casserole dish or on baking pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until fish is cooked through and breading has browned.



   
My dinner consisted of Panko Crusted Catfish Fillet, oven roasted
potatoes and fresh steamed broccoli with cheese sauce.


6 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was terrific! I'll be making it often!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the terrific idea , making it today !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tried this tonight. Used light mayo to cut down on calories/fat & it tasted terrific. Even my kids loved it! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea about the light mayo! I'm cooking fish for dinner tonight and thought I'd give this recipe another try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not coat panko on both sides?

    ReplyDelete