Sunday, March 4, 2012

BEEF BURGUNDY

Hi All! Hope this post finds you doing fabulous this evening. This may come as a shock to some of you but I have decided to venture away from my beloved chicken today and try my hand at a little red meat. What I have prepared for you today is Beef Burgundy. Beef Burgundy, also known as Beef Bourguignon, is a traditional French stew. The name of the recipe comes for the cooking technique that is used in which beef is slowly simmered in flavorful red wine as as way of tenderizing the meat. If you may recall, I prepared Beef Bourguignon in an earlier post but this particular recipe is a lot less involved and requires less ingredients. I found this recipe on BettyCrocker.com and I must say that I think Better Crocker did this French recipe some serious justice because it’s wonderful!

Special Notes: The recipe calls for garlic, which I did include when preparing this dish, but I neglected to add it with the other ingredients when I was making my photographs. Also, as I have been known to do, I added fresh mushrooms because in my opinion, everything tastes better with fresh mushrooms. In addition, I used about 1.8 lbs of boneless chuck instead of sirloin. (Chuck tends to be tough but a good braise helps to soften the meat and because it has a lot of connective tissue that melts when it is cooked, this helps to add flavor to the cut. Sirloin on the other hand, tends to be chewier and is better when grilled.)

Final Thoughts: About 99% of the recipes that I came across for Beef Burgundy were served over egg noodles. Not wanting to break too far from tradition, I did exactly the same; however, I think next time, I would prefer to serve mine with rice. The noodles were fine but they were all over the plate and just didn’t seem to hold the sauce as well as if I had used rice instead.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 lb boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 large onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
½ teaspoon pepper
2 cups ready-to-eat baby-cut carrots
¼ cup red wine or tomato juice
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed golden mushroom soup
5 cups uncooked extra-wide egg noodles (8 oz)

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350°F. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion and garlic; sprinkle with pepper. Cook 5 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown and onion is translucent. Stir in carrots, wine and soup. Spoon mixture into ungreased 1 1/2-quart casserole.





2. Cover; bake about 1 hour or until beef and carrots are tender when pierced with fork. Remove from oven; keep covered.

3. Meanwhile, cook and drain noodles as directed on package. Place noodles on serving platter; ladle beef mixture over top.

 
Recipe Serves 4
Calories 550 per serving

1 comment: