Monday, February 9, 2015

TASTY TURKEY CHILI


Hi All!  I hope this post finds you doing well on this fine February day.  What I have prepared for you today is one of my all-time favorite recipes:  Tasty Turkey Chili.  Not only do I absolutely love chili but this is the probably the quickest and easiest recipe you'll come across and what better time to year to try it out than now?

Up until about a year ago, I was one of those people who refused to accept that anything made with ground turkey could be good.  My attitude was, "Give me a good, old fashioned, greasy bagged BEEF burger anytime and you've got a friend for life."  What changed my mind, you ask?  The media!  It seemed like every week, there was a news report about a beef recall and that really started to freak me out. I had to come up with some alternative meat source for my burgers and chili's.  It was then that I decided to make the switch from ground beef to ground turkey and this was my first recipe.  It's a variation of a recipe that I found on the back of the Bush's Chili Bean can many years ago.  Back then, I would prepare the Bush's recipe just as it was listed on the can but over time, I experimented here and there with some slight variations to suit my taste and this is end product that has proven to be a well-deserved addition to my blog.

Anyone who cooks regularly with ground turkey knows that ground turkey can be dry and bland because it doesn't have all of that fat like ground beef.  BUT, if you season it just right and add the right combination of ingredients, what you'll end up with is Heaven in a bowl.

Special Note:  I usually include the prep pics on all of my blog posts but this was a 3-step recipe that was so easy that I decided to omit them this once.

Enjoy!!! 

Ingredients:
1 lb. package of Ground Turkey
1-27 oz. can of Bush's Mild Chili Beans
1-14.5 oz. can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes
1/4 cup of Chopped Onions
1/4 cup of Chopped Celery
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 tbsp. Ground Chili Power
1/4 cup Ketchup
1 tbsp. Sugar
1/2 cup Water
1 tbsp. Butter/Margarine

1. Pan fry the ground turkey until cooked through.
2. Sauté chopped onion and celery in butter/margarine until tender.
3. Combine ground turkey, chili beans, tomatoes, onions, celery & the next six ingredients in a 1-quart pot and simmer over medium heat for approximately 20 minutes.

Garnish and Serve





No comments:

Post a Comment