Monday, February 24, 2014

RED VELVET CAKE


Hi All!  I hope this post finds you doing well.  I think I mentioned at some point that as much as I love cooking and as much as cooking is in my blood, I have a slight problem with baking.  For some reason, yeast is not a friend to me but I am bound and determined to keep trying until I master it.

Speaking of baking, I've got a nice little treat for you today.  I have posted several cakes on this blog over the past few years but this is by far the best cake that I have ever made. What I have for you today is a classic and scrumptious Red Velvet Cake.  

Special Notes: This recipe was shared with me by a Caterer friend of mine, Kenneth Rice, owner of Custom Catering and Great Cakes.  I used 2 - 9" pans to make a 2-layer cake. If you'd like to make it 3-layer cake, add an additional 1/2 cup of flour and use 3 - 8" pans instead.  It is extremely moist which is one thing I have found to be a common issue with a lot of Red Velvet Cakes. 

Ingredients: (For the Cake) 
2 cups of Cake Flour
1 1/2 cup of Sugar
1 tsp Cocoa
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Vinegar
1 1/2 cup of Canola Oil
1 cup Buttermilk
2 eggs
1 oz bottle of Red Food Coloring  

Ingredients: (For the Icing)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 (8-oz) package of Cream Cheese
1 box Confectioner's Sugar sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla

Instructions: (For the cake)
1.   Preheat Oven to 350.  Grease and flour 2 - 9" round pans.
2.   Sift flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa together.  Beat sugar and eggs together in a large bowl.





3.   In a separate bowl, mix together oil, vinegar and food coloring.  Add to the bowl of eggs and sugar and beat until combined.



 
4.   Add the flour mixture and the buttermilk to the wet mixture by alternating the buttermilk and dry ingredients.  Always start and end with the flour.



5.   Pour batter into pans.  Tap them on the table to level out the batter and release the air bubbles.  Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Be careful not to over bake. Cool completely before icing the cake.



Instructions: (For the Icing)
1.   Let margarine and cream cheese soften to room temperature.  Cream well.  Add sugar and beat until mixed.  Add vanilla.  




2.   Spread between layers, on top and sides of cake.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment