Sunday, April 4, 2010

Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts

I had promised myself that I would prepare at least one dish each week for this blog and I completed that task last night with the Chocolate Soufflé, however, as luck with have it, I've run across another irresistible dish that I would like to share with you. I've always been really big on Sunday dinners even if I was just cooking for myself. Unfortunately, since I've been on the "Diet from Hell" for the past 2 months, my Sunday dinners have consisted of primarily turkey sandwiches, salads or low sodium Chicken Noodle Soup. (Yuck!)

I subscribe to the Kraft Food and Family magazine and in the winter edition of 2007, there was a recipe for Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breasts. Normally, I wouldn't give a recipe like this a second glance because I'm a leg & thigh kind of girl but I love spinach, especially fresh spinach and you just can't go wrong with a recipe like this. Besides, each serving only has 280 calories! Need I say more?

As usual, let me mention a few things about my experiences while preparing this recipe. First of all, I chose not to invest in the Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Italian Dressing because I wouldn't have any other opportunity to use it. Instead, I chose to use a Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing. Secondly, I was able to stuff three (3) boneless chicken breasts instead of just the two that the recipe calls for.

My final thoughts........WOW!!!! This dish was AWESOME!!!! I didn't think that 35 minutes would be long enough to cook this chicken but it was perfectly cooked and so tender. I served mine with some glazed carrots.

Prep: 25 min Total: 1 hr 5 min

Ingredients:

1/3 c. water
2 tbsp. Kraft Roasted Red Pepper Italian Dressing (divided)
2 c. chopped fresh spinach leaves
2/3 c. Stovetop Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1 tbsp. coarsely chopped roasted red peppers
2 small boneless skinless chicken breasts halves (1/2 lb.) pounded to 1/4" thickness
1/4 c. Kraft 2% milk shredded Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese

Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Bring water and 1 Tbsp. of the dressing to boil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Stir in spinach, stuffing mix and peppers; cover. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 min. Set aside.

PLACE chicken, top-sides down, on large cutting board; spread evenly with stuffing mixture. Starting at one of the short ends, tightly roll up each chicken breast. Place, seam-sides down, in 8-inch square baking dish. Brush with remaining 1 Tbsp. dressing.


BAKE 35 min. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake an additional 5 min. or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked through (170°F).


Serving Size = 1 breast (218 g) Nutritional Information
Calories 280 Total fat 7 g Saturated fat 3.5 g Cholesterol 75 mg Sodium 680 mg Carbohydrate 19 g Dietary fiber 2 g Sugars 4 g Protein 32 g Vitamin A 35 %DV Vitamin C 25 %DV Calcium 15 %DV Iron 20 %DV

No comments:

Post a Comment