Thursday, April 8, 2010

Lobster and Crab Penne Pasta

This recipe wasn't planned as part of my menu for this week but I just had to share this one with you because I prepared it without a recipe and using items that I already had at home.  In other words, no special grocery trips for this one.  Now, you're probably thinking to yourself, "Yeah, right! Who randomly keeps lobster, crab meat and penne pasta as part of their kitchen staples?" Well, if you look closely, you'll see my hand raised because these are items that I normally keep on hand.  Why?  The answer is simple:  First of all, I usually keep several different types of pasta on hand because I cook so many different types of pasta dishes.  Secondly, I love lobster and crab and whenever I'm in the grocery store and there is a good deal on crab leg clusters and lobster tails, I stock up.  They are so easy to cook and they make such a perfect meal for a Saturday afternoon.  A nice Caesar side salad, some crab and lobster with drawn butter and a glass of Riesling.....WHOA BABY!   What could be better? 

Anyway, my Grandmother Lillie would say that the true test of a good cook is the ability to throw something together off the top of your head.  I love to experiment so this was a treat for me and luckily, it turned out exactly as I hoped it would.

Ingredients:

1 cluster of Snow Crab legs
1 Lobster Tail
1 1/2 c. Penne Pasta
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. butter or margarine (I used margarine)
1 c. milk or heavy cream
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder to taste

Directions:

1.  Boil crab legs and lobster tail in salted water until done;  Approx. 10 min. When done, cool and then remove as much meat from shells as possible.

2.  Boil Penne Pasta in salted water until tender.  (*Tip - put about 1 tbsp of oil in the water to keep the pasta from sticking together.)

3.  In a large skillet, slowly melt butter over medium heat.  Add flour evenly spread throughout the skillet so that the butter soaks up the flour to form a paste.

4.  Gradually add milk/cream and whisk continuously.  Reduce heat as roux begins to thicken.  Add more milk as needed but not so much that roux turns watery.  It should have the consistency of gravy.

5.  Add seasoning to taste and chopped parsley

6.  Add crab and lobster meat


No comments:

Post a Comment