Sunday, April 24, 2011

MINI COCONUT CAKE

Hi All!  I hope this post finds you doing fabulous on this fine Saturday evening before Easter.  I know that my last post was probably a bit odd and it's definitely a meal that requires an open mind but I assure you that I would not steer you wrong.  I am very excited about today's post because I did a "little" baking and I am thrilled to share with you my experiences.  I love to bake, but mostly pies, cookies or pastries.  I have a couple of cakes that I do very well but for the most part, my cakes haven't always turned out as I had hoped.  This time however, I prepared a cake that you really can't go wrong with because it's only 4" wide. 

About a year ago, I was introduced to a place called Edgar's Bakery and it was probably the first time that I recall having seen a miniature coconut cake.  It was the cutest little thing;  probably about 6" or so.  Anyway, I had mentioned that to my aunt Marshall, who is a big fan of coconut cake, and ever since then, we've been fascinated with the idea making our own miniature cakes.  Sometimes you want something bigger than a cupcake but not so big that after a couple of days, you end up having to throw the rest of it out.  With that in mind, I went searching for miniature baking pans and voila!  I found the cutest little 4" round baking pans at Michael's (of all places.)

Today, I have prepared for you a Mini Coconut Cake using a recipe that I found in the April-May 2011 edition of "Taste of the South" magazine.  First of all, let me say that this is a very versatile cake.  I was able to put chocolate icing on one and strawberries and whipped cream on another and instantly had 3 different desserts.  

Special Notes:  This cake is typically made in 9" round cake pans but as I mentioned before, I used 4" pans and was able to make 3 mini cakes.  I cut this recipe in half but had I used the full recipe, I probably could have made 2-3 additional cakes.  (The mini cake might be a neat idea to impress your guests at your next dinner party.)  In the recipe, the bake time is 30 - 33 minutes for a 9" cake but the mini cakes baked in about 25 minutes.  The recipe calls for cream of coconut and coconut milk, which I thought would be difficult to find but good old Publix's saved the day.  (Just make sure to look in the Asian/Thai/Indian food section.)

Final Thoughts:  This cake is as good as it is beautiful.  I probably could have been a little more creative by actually shaving my own fresh coconut but perhaps next time.  

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups salted butter, softened
1 3/4 cups sugar
5 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cream of coconut
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 recipe Cream Cheese Coconut Frosting (see below)
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.

2.  In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy. Gradually add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.



3.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, combine cream of coconut, coconut milk, and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with coconut milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.





4.  Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean, 30 to 33 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut layers in half horizontally.


5.  Place 1 split layer, cut side down, on a cake stand. Spread layer with about 1 cup Cream Cheese Coconut Frosting. Repeat with remaining split layers. Spread remaining frosting on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle coconut on top and sides of cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve     


Cream Cheese Coconut Frosting

Ingredients:
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup salted butter, softened
1/4 cup coconut milk
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups confectioners’ sugar

Directions:
A.  In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until well combined. Add coconut milk and vanilla. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating until smooth.



Happy Easter!
http://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/recipes/view.php?id=2766

1 comment:

  1. HOW CUTE!!! Looks like a fluddy cloud!! ~Sis

    ReplyDelete